Procedure to follow for exhibition loan requests:
● Exhibition loan procedure (PDF)
● Loan agreement (PDF)
The official letter requesting a loan must be sent to the Provisional Administrator of the Bibliothèque littéraire Jacques Doucet, at least three months before the opening of the exhibition:
M. Fabien Oppermann
Bibliothèque littéraire Jacques Doucet
8, place du Panthéon
Fax: 01 43 29 12 09
This letter must specify:
● The dates, title, location, and itinerary of the event;
NB Except in exceptional circumstances, the duration of the loan may not exceed 90 days in accordance with the rules of preventive conservation.
● The list of documents with their ratings.
For printed works or manuscripts, indicate which page or folio will be presented.
The presence and number of documents can be identified in the online catalogs of the Bibliothèque littéraire Jacques Doucet (SUDoc for printed matter and Calames for manuscripts).
In acknowledgment of receipt of the request, the Bibliothèque littéraire Jacques Doucet will send the borrower a letter specifying the references available for loan and those that may be excluded (due to fragility, prior commitment, etc.).
A loan contract in two copies will be attached to this correspondence. The borrower must complete and sign both copies of the contract and return them to the Bibliothèque littéraire Jacques Doucet.
The borrower’s copy will be returned after validation by the library.
Loans are subject to the borrower’s commitment to subscribe to the following conservation conditions:
● Security: lockable showcases under alarm; premises guarded day and night
● Climate: relative humidity varying between 50 and 60%; temperature between 16° and 20° C (a recording thermo-hygrometer is required in each showroom)
● Lighting conditions: limited to 50 Lux maximum; absence of direct natural light or of any artificial light source likely to cause a temperature rise of more than 2°C; lighting outside the showcases; fluorescent light without near-ultraviolet; lighting (or maintaining natural light) of the showcases limited to the days and hours the exhibition is open to the public
● No smoking; fireproofing of materials; carbon dioxide CO2 fire extinguisher, excluding all carbon dioxide foam and powder.
● Prohibition of the use of adhesives, nylon thread, and any other method of attachment that may mark the documents.
Drawings, prints, and photographs are loaned already framed. The framing is done by the usual provider of the Bibliothèque littéraire Jacques Doucet, at the expense of the borrower. If the documents need to be restored before being loaned, the service is at the borrower’s expense. The borrower will be notified through the loan agreement.
Specific requirements relating to the presentation of documents may be specified in the loan form to ensure their proper preservation.
Orders for reproducing documents should be sent to the Bibliothèque littéraire Jacques Doucet using the forms that can be downloaded from the library’s website in the “Services au public/Public services” section.
For works protected by Intellectual Property, the borrower must obtain authorization of representation and reproduction from the authors, or the assignees, and is responsible for paying the related copyright. The prior presentation of this authorization is essential for the realization of the works of reproduction.
Any use of photographs or documents in an editorial product (catalogs, posters, invitations, etc.) is subject to a fee which will be invoiced upon presentation of proof.